Foreskin trapped by zipper: a case report
© licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2009
Received: 3 March 2009
Accepted: 19 June 2009
Published: 27 July 2009
We present an 84 year-old-male patient with foreskin trapped by his zipper. After several failed attempts with scissors, screwdriver and others we practise an elliptic incision to resolve the problem. Foreskin injuries are frequent in children but are rare in adult men. There are some techniques described for solving the problem using scissors, screwdriver, traction and surgery.
Foreskin injuries are very rare in adult men, although it is frequent in children. There are some techniques to solve foreskin trapped by zipper.
Foreskin injuries by zipper are relatively frequent in no circumcised children, however to the best of our knowledge, no cases in the elderly patient have been published in the literature, probably because patients achieves to release the penis of the zipper. The mean problem of this accident is the ischemia and necrosis of part of foreskin. Raveenthiran published a technique with a screwdriver to remove the zipper which has been used in 12 children successfully . Mishra described a technique for releasing the foreskin of the zipper using ordinary wire cutter . Others authors perform traction of the zipper . It is usually ineffective the application of oil to sliding the zipper . Finally elliptical incision has been described as definitive method . All techniques described are suitable for solving the problem.
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this case report and accompanying images. A copy of the written consent is available for review by the journal's Editor-in-Chief.
- Raveenthiran V: Releasing of zipper-entrapped foreskin: a novel nonsurgical technique. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2007, 23: 463-464. 10.1097/01.pec.0000280505.37300.c1.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mishra SD: Safe and painless manipulation of penile zipper entrapment. Indian Pediatr. 2006, 43: 252-254.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nakagawa T, Toguri AG: Penile zipper injury. Med Princ Pract. 2006, 15: 303-304. 10.1159/000092995.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kanegaye JT, Schoenfeld N: Penile zipper entrapment: a simple and less threatening approach using mineral oil. Pediatr Emerg Care. 1993, 9: 90-91. 10.1097/00006565-199304000-00008.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mydlo JH: Treatment of a delayed zipper injury. Urol Int. 2000, 64: 45-46. 10.1159/000030484.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.