- Case Report
- Open Access
Repeat late instent-stenosis after an interval of four years in the same lesion after bare-metal and drug-eluting stent: a case report
© Towae et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2009
- Received: 6 November 2009
- Accepted: 31 December 2009
- Published: 31 December 2009
In 2001, a 71-year old male was admitted to our hospital with unstable angina. The angiography revealed 2-vessel disease with a 90% stenosis of the proximal LAD. A bare-metal stent was implanted. Four years later the angiography showed a 80% instent-stenosis in the bare-metal stent but no progress at the other coronary arteries. A DES was implanted. Again, four years later, the patient presented with non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Angiography showed a 90% instent-restenosis, again without any progession of coronary artery disease in the other vessels. Again a DES implanted. Therefore the processes involved in the late instent-stenosis were not influenced by the antiproliferative agent sirolimus
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Myocardial Infarction
- Unstable Angina
This case is unusual, because a late instent-stenosis was observed twice without any difference in the time interval of the clinical occurrence of the restenosis between bare-metal and drug-eluting stent [1–3]. Usually restenosis occurs within 6 months after stent implantation. Thereafter the annual restenosis rate is only about 1-2%. In this case, the implantation of a DES did not prolong the time-interval until the restenosis became clinically apparent. Therefore, the processes involved in the late instent-stenosis in this patient were not influenced by the antiproliferative agent sirolimus [4, 5].
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this case report and accompanying images. A copy of the written consent is available for review by the Editor-in-Chief of this journal.
- Chieffo A, Park SJ, Meliga E, Sheiban I, Lee MS, Latib A, Kim YH, Valgimigli M, Sillano D, Magni V, Zoccai GB, Montorfano M, Airoldi F, Rogacka R, Carlino M, Michev I, Lee CW, Hong MK, Park SW, Moretti C, Bonizzoni E, Sangiorgi GM, Tobis J, Serruys PW, Colombo A: Late and very late stent thrombosis following drug-eluting stent implantation in unprotected left main coronary artery: a multicentre registry. Eur Heart J. 2008, 29 (17): 2108-2115. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehn270.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Spaulding C, Daemen J, Boersma E, Cutlip DE, Serruys PW: A pooled analysis of data comparing sirolimus-eluting stents with bare-metal stents. N Engl J Med. 2007, 356: 989-997. 10.1056/NEJMoa066633.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Daemen J, Wenaweser P, Tsuchida K, Abrecht L, Vaina S, Morger C, Kukreja N, Juni P, Sianos G, Hellige G, van Domburg RT, Hess OM, Boersma E, Meier B, Windecker S, Serruys PW: Early and late coronary stent thrombosis of sirolimus-eluting and paclitaxel-eluting stents in routine clinical practice: data from a large two-institutional cohort study. Lancet. 2007, 369: 667-678. 10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60314-6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kastrati A, Mehilli J, Pache J, Kaiser C, Valgimigli M, Kelbaek H, Menichelli M, Sabate M, Suttorp MJ, Baumgart D, Seyfarth M, Pfisterer ME, Schomig A: Analysis of 14 trials comparing sirolimus-eluting stents with bare-metal stents. N Engl J Med. 2007, 356: 1030-1039. 10.1056/NEJMoa067484.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stone GW, Moses JW, Ellis SG, Schofer J, Dawkins KD, Morice MC, Colombo A, Schampaert E, Grube E, Kirtane AJ, Cutlip DE, Fahy M, Pocock SJ, Mehran R, Leon MB: Safety and efficacy of sirolimus- and paclitaxel-eluting coronary stents. N Engl J Med. 2007, 356: 998-1008. 10.1056/NEJMoa067193.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.