Many people in rural and urban areas own a gun legally or illegally. It is a social phenomenon that apart from the adults, the children become familiar with the guns in early age.
A nine year old boy was shot by accident by his uncle, who was cleaning his gun (carbine) close to where the child was playing. More than 200 pellets were counted in the boy's x-rays. The boy was hospitalised in pediatric intensive care unit with many injuries in thorax, abdomen, and limbs, clearly shown by the x-rays. He developed multiple injuries in lungs and liver, bilateral haemothorax and pneumothorax, subcutaneous emphysema, injury of pericardium, perirenal hematoma, choloperitoneum, injuries in the intestine and in the limbs. Initial level of lead in the boy's body was measured as a reference value. Thereafter, frequent monitoring for lead levels was scheduled to prevent a potential lead poisoning from the pellets' absorption. After the appropriate treatment the boy left the hospital in a month in good health.
The consequences from gun use in places where children are exposed could be fatal. The appropriate co-operation of different medical sub-specialities in Pediatrics and the presence of pediatric intensive care unit can save the life of a child with multiple injuries.